Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Baby vs dog...

First of all, God bless Liana for writing a chapter with a baby.  Today I finished and submitted my beautiful, polished and annotated Chapter One (60+ pages!) and was continually distracted by Blue... Craig left yesterday and the dog spent the better part of his afternoon putting his nose beneath my left forearm and flipping my hand up and away from the computer.  He's barked at every living thing that's passed by the window and a mile walk did nothing to appease his need for attention...

So yes, it sadly took me 2 months to turn in my chapter, but I've also read through, annotated and typed up four novels, plus located, read and annotated the bulk of my criticism.  I'm looking at this project, the five chapters, the same way a mechanic's apprentice would look at building five cars.  Building the first one SUCKS, but then you have the tools and the know-how, cars 2-5 should be relatively simple.  Time will tell...

Another hiccup in my forward progress was a 2 week visit from Craig.  We had a brilliant time, hosted dinner for our surrogate family  (the Roses), watched movies with grandma, ate at a delicious Greek restaurant (who new St. Louis was the epicenter of Greek cuisine..) and the Roses even lent us their lake house in the Ozarks for a few days.  I've attached some pictures.  In addition to hiking every day, we toured Bridal Cave.  It was rainy and miserable and we were the only one's there, so we had a private tour with a Jesse Eisenberg look-a-like, complete with white-boy afro.  We found out he's an avid climber and pretty much works there as the owner lets him privately explore the multiple-storied caverns.

But I've been at this computer screen for 10 hours... Blue's just dropped his saliva drenched Kong in my lap... I'm pouring a drink ... Huzzahh!

2 comments:

  1. Hey gal, good work on writing and handing in that chapter in record time! We all have things we have to balance along with the dissertation. That's one thing I learned: I'm never going to have the chance again to just sit in our beloved carrel and write until the late evening. It's not our life: it's a dissertation. :)

    ReplyDelete